Saturday, March 10, 2007

GOLDEN AGE ~ A gem found in Brooklyn

This week has been a busy week for me, but I managed to find time to attend the ASIFA-East judgings here in New York. The last screening will be next week, and even though I have attended only two, I have found a bountiful harvest of wonderful, animated goodies.

It is also exciting for me, because for the very first time, I have submitted a piece of my own for judging. My film, IVAN'S ACT, was screened and judged in the Student work screenings, and it seemed to get a generally positive response. And from what I hear, king-pin animator Bill Plympton found it to be a cute short with a certain quality to it. I will probably know in month what the status of the upcoming festival will be.

Now I would like to introduce you all to a gem that was produced by Augenblick Studios, an animation studio located here in my beloved Brooklyn. The name of the film is GOLDEN AGE. Below are images from just a few of the amazing segments that make up the film, which runs at about 23 minutes. And for a film that length at the screening, it got an amazing response, and was not cut short for its lenght, which is a very good sign.

(these images were taken from the Augenblick site at www.augenblickstudios.com)




I urge you all to check out the film on the Augenblick website. It is one of the best shorts I have ever seen. It has a wonderful mix of dark yet whimsical humor and an adorable animation style that pays tribute to the various golden ages of animation history.

No comments: