Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Henpecked Hoboes (Tex Avery, 1946)

Why is this cartoon not on DVD? In fact, the Droopy Theatrical Collection is the only thing out there that has any of Fred "Tex" Avery's MGM cartoons.

What do I want to see? I think there should be a DVD set of Tex Avery's MGM cartoons from the 40's and 50's. I consider these particular cartoons to be among some of the finest work in the animation world. If anything, they are possibly among the best film making ever done. Unfortunately, these cartoons have taken some undeserved heap in our recent years of censorship and political embarrassment. But thankfully, the DVD releases of Droopy, Popeye, and the Looney Tunes collections have shined some light on the matter, and kept the cartoons as they were meant to be. I mean, for heaven's sake, you can't erase or improve history.

*The following has no in depth analysis or artistic breakdown like most bloggers show. It is simply a general enjoyment.*

I came across this cartoon recently. I haven't seen it in years, and now that I am older, there is so much more I see in it. I loved seeing this when I was little (when they still showed old cartoons on public television).


I now know that the characters of George and Junior are based on the two leads in Of Mice and Men (a very depressing read for me).














A satisfying ending: the stupid tramp gets her ass kicked.




This image is from Kevin Langley's blog, which I recently discovered. If you like this, I suggest checking his blog out.

On another note: if anybody reads this, I have a question. I am trying to figure out how to get quicktimes up here on the blog. I need to get my work up here while I try to figure out my web page. What is the recommended web host to do this?

3 comments:

Elliot Cowan said...

You can upload video directly to your blog in the same way you upload a picture.
You do it the same way, but instead of clicking the little picture button, you press the film strip.

Emmett said...

Mr. Cowan,

I am aware of that process. I am actually trying to avoid it. I am talking about hosting quicktimes. I have seen them on John Kricfalusi and Patrick Smith's blogs. They host quicktimes of videos they have burned.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.